Visa for family of an European national

The foreign spouse of a EU national enter France without visa if holding:

- A valid travel document;
- A valid UK residence permit with the endorsement "family member of EEA national" (this endorsement is compulsory to be visa exempted);
- and if they are joining or travelling with the EU national.

Attention: To avoid unnecessary problems whilst travelling it is advisable to carry along evidence of family relationship.

If you do not satisfy the above conditions, you will need to apply for a visa to travel to France (for instance if your residency is not explicit or if you are travelling to France for business).

Note that children and parents of EU Nationals still require visas to travel to France. It’s also the case for the spouses of British citizens as their residence permit does not bear the endorsement " family member of EEA national" as required by the art. 10 of the European Council/Parliament Directive 2004/38 CE.

Be advised that if you are unable to provide the requested documents to obtain a visa as the spouse of an EU citizen,you will need to lodge an application for a short stay Schengen visa, i.e. pay the visa administrative fees and produce all requested supporting documents.


- Apply in person
- Provide the documents requested + 1 set of photocopies + fee (when applicable).

- Each visa applicant must include a pre-paid special delivery envelope (Up to 500gr) with his/her name and address, as all passports and documents will be only returned by post. Please take note of the tracking number on the envelope for your own reference.

- In accordance with Regulation (EC) No 810/2009 of the European Parliament and of the Council establishing a community code on visas , please be aware that FROM 5th APRIL 2010, VISA APPLICATIONS LODGED WITHOUT ALL REQUESTED SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS AND COPIES WILL LEAD TO A VISA REFUSAL.

As the Spouse of an European Union Citizen:
As the Dependent Child (under the age of 21) of an European Union Citizen:
As the Dependent Child (over the age of 21) of an European Union Citizen:
As an Adopted Child:

As the Dependent Parent of a European Union Citizen: |

>>> Should you wish to settle in France: Family members of EU nationals must lodge an application for a short stay Schengen visa then contact the prefecture to finalise the formalities.

Ensure that all documents requested are provided.
If deemed necessary, additional documents may be requested.

Published on 21/07/2014

top of the page