French Embassy in London – Department for Science and Technology
The Department for Science and Technology (DST) of the French Embassy in London, located in the South Kensington area, is seeking a scientist or an engineer to fill in the position of Science Officer. The position is for 11 months in the first instance and can be renewed three times before becoming an open-ended contract.
About the DST
The mission of the DST is threefold :
- to carry out watch on science and technology along with strategy and policy covering R&D and innovation activities in the UK ;
- to promote the development of science and technology co-operations between France and the UK via workshops, seminars, colloquia and bilateral research projects ;
- to promote, in the UK, French high quality science and technology in R&D, especially through conferences organized with the support of British institutions.
About the position :
Within these missions, the successful candidate will mainly be in charge of the sectors of physical sciences, energy and environment. The work, however, is varied and will encompass interdisciplinary subjects and will require the post-holder to develop close working relationships with a large variety of senior actors in public, charity organisations and in the private sector.
Essential qualifications and skills :
- PhD in one of the following fields : mathematics, physics, chemistry or engineering sciences ;
- Fully bilingual in French and English ;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, with the capacity to convey complex regulatory or policy issues with clarity in both languages and the confidence to interact with a variety of stakeholders such as ministerial departments, public organisations, universities, companies, charities, foundations, learned societies, etc. ;
- Strong analytical, problem-solving and self-management abilities ;
- Autonomy for organizing one’s work, ability to work as part of a team, to write short and focused reports/memos.
- Desirable skills
- Good knowledge of political and strategic stakes related to science and technology issues (from academia to private sector) and the relevant stakeholders, both in France and in the UK.
Salary : monthly gross salary - £2057
Deadline for application : Applications must be received by 31st July 2013 at midnight
Interviews to be held on Wednesday 28th and Thursday 29th August and the successful candidate is expected to start on Monday 9th September 2013.
To apply :
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Email your CV and cover letter in French or English to :