Nineteen D-Day veterans receive the Légion d’honneur
Nineteen D-Day veterans receive the Légion d’honneur as French Ambassador Sylvie Bermann decorates woman veteran for the first time
Friday 27 May 2016
Fourteen British Second World War veterans were presented with the Légion d’honneur, France’s highest distinction, during a ceremony at the French Ambassador’s Residence in London.
The medals were presented by the French Ambassador to the UK, Sylvie Bermann and Admiral Patrick Chevallereau, Defence Attaché.
The veterans were honoured for their role in securing France’s liberation during the Second War, with many having taken part in the June 1944 D-Day landings.
The medal ceremony follows a number of others that have taken place around the UK since the 70th anniversary of D-Day in June 2014, when President François Hollande pledged to honour all British veterans who had served to liberate France during the Second World War.
The ceremony marked the first time Ambassador Bermann has presented the Légion d’honneur to a woman veteran: Mrs Marsie Taylor.
— France in the UK (@FranceintheUK) May 27, 2016
The full list of veterans decorated is:
• John Richard Abbott, 90, from London, served on Armed Trawler HMS Northern Pride
• Arthur Ansell, from Hampton, 93, Royal Marine on the HMS Nelson in the Royal Navy
• Frederick Ardley, 92, from Caterham, Able Seaman in the Royal Navy
• Harold Bradley, 92, from Kent, Gunner in the Royal Artillery
• Walter James Bridger, 92, from Essex, Marine in the Royal Marines
• Alfred Briscoe, 92, from Ruislip, Lance-Corporal in the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers
• Carol Alfred Burt, 92, from Surrey, Sergeant Major in the Royal Artillery
• Sidney Edward Downer, 94, from Hertfordshire, Sub-Lieutenant in the Royal Navy
• Stanley Bernard Gilbert, 90, from London, Lance corporal in the Royal Armoured Corps
• William Harden, 90, from Gravesend, Deck Hand in the Merchant Navy
• Edward Hylands, 90, from Surrey, served in the Royal Marine
• Donald Angus McGeachy, 93, from Maldon, Stoker in the Royal Navy
• Samuel Peter McInally, 94, from West Midlands, Gunner in the Army
• Leonard Perry, 92, from Kent, Stoker 1st Class in the Royal Navy
• James Rawe, 90, from Essex, Midshipman on a Tank Landing Craft
• Marsie Taylor (née Coppock), 96, from London, Rating in the Women’s Royal Naval Service
• Frank Turner, 93, from Westerham, Warrant Officer in the Royal Air Force
• Geoffrey Weaving, 92, West Sussex, Telegraphist in the Royal Navy
• Charles Wilson, 90, from Peterborough, Corporal in the Kings Royal Rifle Corps for the Army
Created with flickr slideshow.