Cédric Villani appointed to the high level group of the new EC Scientific Advice Mechanism
The French mathematician and Fields medallist is currently the director of the Institut Henri Poincaré in Paris (since 2009), professor at the Université of Lyon (since 2010) and member of the French Academy of Sciences (since 2013).
- Cédric Villani
- Espace des Sciences, CC BY-SA 3.0
He will be joining six other outstanding scientists (three men and three women) who form the High Level Group of Scientific Advisors of the European Commission Scientific Advice Mechanism, which aims at providing high quality, timely and independent scientific advice on specific policy issues.
The other members of this group are:
- Prof Dame Julia Slingo (British climate scientist, Met Office)
- Prof Pearl Dykstra (Dutch sociologist, Erasmus University Rotterdam)
- Prof Elvira Fortunato (Portuguese materials scientist, Universidade Nova de Lisboa)
- Prof Janusz Bujnicki (Polish bioinformatician, International Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology in Warsaw)
- Prof Rolf-Dieter Heuer (German physicist, CERN Director)
- Prof Henrik Wegener (Danish microbiologist, chief academic officer and provost of the Technical University of Denmark).