11 British D-day veterans honoured by France
Eleven British World War II veterans were presented with the Légion d’honneur, France’s highest distinction, during a ceremony at the French Ambassador’s Residence in Kensington, London.
The medals were presented by Ambassador Sylvie Bermann.
The Ambassador said: "Today it is my great privilege to award these medals on behalf of the French people: France owes its freedom to your courageous actions on D-Day and in the months that followed, and these medals are the tokens of our gratitude."
The veterans were honoured for their role in securing France’s liberation during the Second World War, many of them having taken part in the D-Day Landings in June 1944.
The full list of veterans honoured is:
• Peter Geoffrey Cliffe, Captain in the Lincolnshire Regiment Army, from Woking, Surrey
• William Gordon Parry, Sergeant, Aircrew, Flight Engineer in the Royal Air Force, from London, W2
• Leslie Sutton, Corporal in the Royal Air Force, from Ilford
• Roy Bush, Private in the Hampshire Regiment, from Windsor, Berkshire
• Robert R Stevens, Driver Operator in the Royal Engineers, from Brentwood, Essex
• Donald Arthur Howkins, Gunner in the Royal Artillery, from Winchmore Hill, London
• Charles Foster, Trooper in the Royal Horse Guards, Driver, Gunner and Wireless Operator in the Guards Armoured Division, from Bishops Stortford, Hertfordshire
• Donald Wallace, Able Seaman in the Royal Navy, from Watford, Hertfordshire
• Edward Needham, Able Seaman in the Royal Navy, from Swanley, Kent
• Harry Alfred Card, Able Seaman in the Royal Navy, from Orpington, Kent
• Frank Luff, Visual Signalman in the Royal Navy, from Stevenage, Hertfordshire
The ceremony was the latest in a number of medal ceremonies that have taken place around the UK since the 70th anniversary of D-Day in June 2014, when President François Hollande pledged to honour all those British veterans who had served in France during the war.
Members of the British Household Cavalry Regiment were also in attendance, posing for photographs with Ambassador Bermann and the recipients of the Légion d’honneur.
To see all our photos from the occasion, click on the image below: